After having the television on the third floor (in what is now the office room) we finally decided that we need the TV on the main floor. Neither Scott nor I watch a lot of television but we love watching movies. So we decided to move it downstairs mainly because we really want the living room to be the room that we spend most of our time in. Our biggest challenge is incorporating the TV into the rest of the living room and making is sort of blend in.
I have been searching for a white high gloss TV stand for a while now. The living room has a lot of wood so I needed something lighter and airier.
The first step in moving the TV into the living room was buying a credenza to place under the TV. We bought Ikea Trosby sideboard. This is the first big piece of furniture that we have purchased at Ikea and I am very pleased. It is very sturdy and the size is perfect. Also it has tons of storage and we use one side for Kiran’s toys and the other side for the DVD player and CDs.
We decided on installing two shelves over the TV to put our CD player on. The main reason for this is that We have a Bose CD player (best purchase ever) and it just sounds better when it is higher. Also we needed it to be away from Kiran’s reach because he loves shoving CD’s into the CD slots.
Next Scott installed a plug point slightly higher from where we decided to put up the shelves. I am not sure how he does it but Scott has become quite an electrician now. Scott installed, wired and did everything else necessary for me to have a plug point on the first shelf. I am so excited!
This is a close up of Scott installing the shelves. One more shelf to go…
It took a lot of time to align the shelves (everything in our house is slightly crooked) and to decide what to anchor the shelves on. Most of our walls are plaster but this wall is drywall to it look a lot of time for us to decide whether we wanted to attach the shelves on just drywall or if we wanted to find the wood studs. We ended up attaching one side of the shelves to the wood studs and the other side was anchored with drywall sinkers. It took a lot longer than we anticipated but it is almost done. More pictures to follow.